Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom has made these cookies for Christmas every year of my life-- it wouldn't be the holidays without them! Simply the best sugar cookie recipe I've ever tasted. Make sure to roll the cookies nice and thick so that they bake up light and fluffy! A wonderful, classic recipe that will be in our family for generations.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- powdered sugar, as needed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring, as desired
- candy sprinkles, as desired
- colored crystal sugar, as desired
- Cream sugar, shortening and eggs in large mixing bowl. Mix in other ingredients—add flour a little at a time, using wooden spoon if mix gets too thick for electric mixer. Chill dough for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use plenty of flour to roll out dough about 1/4 in thick; cut with assorted cookie cutters. Bake for 10-12 min or until cookies are just lightly brown on bottom.
- Frosting: Melt butter in microwave; add milk and vanilla and stir.
- Place powdered sugar in separate containers. Add a little milk mixture and stir until frosting reaches desired consistency. Use food coloring and assorted sprinkles to frost/decorate cookies as desired.
I used the cookie dough from this recipe and frosting and decorating ideas from Snowman Sugar Cookies With Frosting. The cookie dough was quick and easy to make. I made it into a log in plastic wrap and wanted to slice it like you do with the refrigerated cookie dough from the market. But after 30 minutes chilling it was still rather soft for that. I put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes or so. Still pretty soft, but I didn't have any more time. So I sliced it with thread (wrap the thread around the log and pull). They kind of smushed and didn't really come out like circles, but still, with frosting and decor, were quite happy snowman faces. Tasty enough cookies.
I have this same recipe and I wouldn't make sugar cookies any other way now! You have to try these sugar cookies, you won't regret it!! I used this recipe to make Taffy Apple Pizza and it turned out great. These cookies will be a hit in your house!!
i love these cookies, my son is allergic to eggs, so i substitute with water, and these cookies work great. and i usually have problems with roll out sugar cookies.