Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Makes a big, tender cookie for those who don't like crispy sugar cookies. Great for any holiday. My mom would kill me if she knew I was posting this recipe-it's a family secret...so don't tell!
- In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening and eggs.
- Add 1 cup flour, soda, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine milk and vanilla.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with remaining 4 cups flour.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Roll onto lightly floured surface 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with desired shapes.
- Bake on ungreased cookies sheets at 400°F for 8-10 minutes or until edges just begin to turn light golden brown.
- Cool and frost with favorite frosting.
These cookies are so good! They're nice and soft with a not too sweet taste. I just cut them in rounds and after baking, I sprinkled them with powdered sugar. Very easy recipe! I will make these again. Thanks Laura!
These are very good cookies for cutouts as they don't rise to much. Also I only used 1/2 cup milk. One batch I used Sunny Delight instead of milk, everybody loved them.
These were very soft cookies. My kids ate them even without the frosting! They stored well but didn't last long in our house. Thanks for posting.