Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite recipe's from my Mom. Used to ask her to make it for me every birthday - as the birthday child got to choose. Still making it...for my family now! Not sure of the source - feel free to adjust to your liking!
- 1 (12 ounce) boxpackage jumbo pasta shells
- 1⁄2 lb italian sweet sausage (I use Hot)
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (mom uses more, and I make my own sauce, that includes meat and lots of veggies)
- 20 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained (I get fresh and steam it and chop it)
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (I use more, and fresh garlic in the sauce)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (I use a lot more, fresh grated)
- Cook shells according to directions, drain.
- Brown and drain sausage.
- Add sauce to meat and cook 15 minutes.
- Press out excess moisture from spinach and chop.
- Beat Eggs slightly. Add Spinach, 2 cheeses and seasonings. Mix till blended.
- Pour 1/2 C sauce mixture into a bottom of a 3 Quart dish (9 X12). Stuff each shell with the mixture and arrange shells in a single layer in the pan. Tuck in broken pieces. Pour sauce over all.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Can substitute Manicotti for shells if desired.