Recipe by Gidget265
This is one of my favorite recipe's from my Mom. Used to ask her to make it for me every birthday - as the birthday child got to choose. Still making it...for my family now! Not sure of the source - feel free to adjust to your liking!
- 1 (12 ounce) boxpackage jumbo pasta shells
- 1⁄2 lb italian sweet sausage (I use Hot)
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (mom uses more, and I make my own sauce, that includes meat and lots of veggies)
- 20 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained (I get fresh and steam it and chop it)
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (I use more, and fresh garlic in the sauce)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (I use a lot more, fresh grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook shells according to directions, drain.
- Brown and drain sausage.
- Add sauce to meat and cook 15 minutes.
- Press out excess moisture from spinach and chop.
- Beat Eggs slightly. Add Spinach, 2 cheeses and seasonings. Mix till blended.
- Pour 1/2 C sauce mixture into a bottom of a 3 Quart dish (9 X12). Stuff each shell with the mixture and arrange shells in a single layer in the pan. Tuck in broken pieces. Pour sauce over all.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Can substitute Manicotti for shells if desired.