1/2 Photos of Mom's Stuffed Pattypan Squash
This is my favorite of our family recipes. I've listed it as my mom always made, but I love to play with it. On Mexican night, I'll add a pinch of cumin or chili powder and use a Mexican cheese like Queso Ranchero. On Italian night, I'll add a pinch of Italian seasoning and use mozzerella cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place pattipans in boiling water and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3Make white sauce with butter, flour, salt and milk. (On medium heat, melt butter, stir in flour and brown slightly, add salt, then add milk a little at a time, stirring constantly. (I usually use a about a third more milk than written above.) Once all milk is added, continue to cook and stir for a minute or two.
- 4Turn off heat, add cheese and crushed saltines to white sauce and stir.
- 5Scoop out the middle of each pattipan to make little "bowls". (I use my grapefruit knife.) Turn the pattipans over on a plate (so the juices drain out) and set aside.
- 6Add scooped out portion of squash to sauce and mash with a potato masher. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as needed.
- 7Fill squash with the sauce, pouring the excess over the top.
- 8Bake for about 15 minutes, or until done.
- 9Note: If using table salt, use only a pinch rather than 1/8 t.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Stuffed Pattypan Squash
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.5
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 561.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: