Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my favorite of our family recipes. I've listed it as my mom always made, but I love to play with it. On Mexican night, I'll add a pinch of cumin or chili powder and use a Mexican cheese like Queso Ranchero. On Italian night, I'll add a pinch of Italian seasoning and use mozzerella cheese.
- 4 pattypan squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 6 saltine crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pattipans in boiling water and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Make white sauce with butter, flour, salt and milk. (On medium heat, melt butter, stir in flour and brown slightly, add salt, then add milk a little at a time, stirring constantly. (I usually use a about a third more milk than written above.) Once all milk is added, continue to cook and stir for a minute or two.
- Turn off heat, add cheese and crushed saltines to white sauce and stir.
- Scoop out the middle of each pattipan to make little "bowls". (I use my grapefruit knife.) Turn the pattipans over on a plate (so the juices drain out) and set aside.
- Add scooped out portion of squash to sauce and mash with a potato masher. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Fill squash with the sauce, pouring the excess over the top.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until done.
- Note: If using table salt, use only a pinch rather than 1/8 t.
I made this recipe last night, I have never eaten Patty Pan Squash ever before, I liked it. I changed the saltines to 18 ritz crackers instead, and a hint of parm on top, next time I am going to add Panko crumbs on top to give it a little baked crunch, and perhaps a little sautéed onion, and a sharper cheese. Fun veggie, thanks for sharing.
What a fun recipe! They were simple to make, and we enjoyed them as a vegetarian main dish. I did add some Italian seasoning and garlic, as suggested, and used "Pizza" cheese. Then I sprinkled the tops with Parmesan and a handful of real bacon bits (from a jar) before baking.
This was very good served with my braised beef dinner. I used the cheddar cheese and added a pinch of garlic powder. Delicious! I will be making these again. Made for Review My Recipe Tag. Thanks for a great recipe Julie!