Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from my mother-in-law and is very easy to prepare.
Make and share this Mom's Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cut tops off bell peppers, making a bell pepper "bowl".
- Remove seeds and membrane, rinsing well under cold water.
- Par-boil peppers for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove peppers from boiling water and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Brown ground beef and drain any excess fat.
- Add chopped onion to ground beef, stirring every few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make rice by boiling the cup of water and butter, adding rice and simmering until rice is cooked, as you would normally make steamed rice.
- While rice is cooking, mix tomato sauce, sugar and basil together in a seperate bowl.
- When rice is done, add to meat and onion mixture.
- Add half of the sauce and half of the cheddar cheese to meat mixture, stirring all together.
- Spoon meat mixture into each bell pepper; if you have any left over you can spoon some around the peppers as well.
- Spoon remaining sauce mixture over each bell pepper and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for approx 20 minutes.
- NOTE: Although this sounds like a lot of steps to go through, this is one of those recipes where you can be doing more than one thing at a time.
- I usually start my water to boil for the par-boiling of the peppers at the same time I'm browing the ground beef and chopping my onion, and cleaning the bell peppers.
- I am also guilty of making more sauce than needed, and adding more cheese than necessary. I really don't think you can screw this up -- it's just a matter of personal taste, so feel free to play with the amounts.
Very good, thank you. When I made these I did not read the directions very well. I ended up mixing everything together except for some of the cheese. I stuffed the peppers then put the top on with the stem removed. I had a brain storm and decided to make a well in the center of the pepper. After doing so , I filled each with the extra cheese I had leftover. I will be making this often. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag game 2010
I used extra onions and cheese and also added crushed tomatoes to the sauce. I then added 1 egg to the meat mixture to hold it together more firmly. This recipe was an inspiration to homemade cooking with a kick to it!