1/3 Photos of Mom's Stuffed Bell Peppers
Noni Suzanne's Note:
This recipe comes from my mother-in-law and is very easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut tops off bell peppers, making a bell pepper "bowl".
- 2Remove seeds and membrane, rinsing well under cold water.
- 3Par-boil peppers for approximately 5 minutes.
- 4Remove peppers from boiling water and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- 5Brown ground beef and drain any excess fat.
- 6Add chopped onion to ground beef, stirring every few minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, make rice by boiling the cup of water and butter, adding rice and simmering until rice is cooked, as you would normally make steamed rice.
- 8While rice is cooking, mix tomato sauce, sugar and basil together in a seperate bowl.
- 9When rice is done, add to meat and onion mixture.
- 10Add half of the sauce and half of the cheddar cheese to meat mixture, stirring all together.
- 11Spoon meat mixture into each bell pepper; if you have any left over you can spoon some around the peppers as well.
- 12Spoon remaining sauce mixture over each bell pepper and top with remaining cheese.
- 13Bake at 350 for approx 20 minutes.
- 14NOTE: Although this sounds like a lot of steps to go through, this is one of those recipes where you can be doing more than one thing at a time.
- 15I usually start my water to boil for the par-boiling of the peppers at the same time I'm browing the ground beef and chopping my onion, and cleaning the bell peppers.
- 16I am also guilty of making more sauce than needed, and adding more cheese than necessary. I really don't think you can screw this up -- it's just a matter of personal taste, so feel free to play with the amounts.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Stuffed Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.6
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 61.8 mg
- Sodium 970.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 19.6 g