Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Mom has always made this angel food cake for her children. I have made this several times for different functions, and the response is overwhelming. It’s a perfect summer dessert!! It is light, cool and refreshing. I use sugar free jell-o and lite cool whip, for an extra light dessert. I have also used other jell-o flavors along with different fruits. Very versatile!!
- 1 prepared angel food cake
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert or 2 (3 ounce) boxes sugar-free strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen strawberries, in juice
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip or 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip Lite
- boiled water
- fresh strawberries, for decorating (optional)
- Cut the angel food cake horizontally approximately two inches from the top. Remove the top cover of the angel food cake, put to the side. Begin pulling out the inside of the angel food cake in little pieces; be careful not to make any holes to the outer shell of the cake. Pull out approximately two inches down of the angel food cake reserving all of your pieces.
- In a separate bowl dissolve the jell-o and boiling water. Once the jell-o is completely dissolved, add the frozen strawberries to the mix. The mixture will become thicker and more jelly like. Once the frozen strawberries have thawed in the mixture, begin adding the reserved pieces of angel food cake. Mix well. Place mixture in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until well chilled.
- Scoop out the jell-o mixture into the hollow angel food cake, filling it to the top. Place the cover of the cake back on the top, and finish off my creaming the entire cake with cool whip. Place the cake in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours before serving, serve cold. Fresh strawberries can be placed on top for decorations.
- Try experimenting with different flavors of jell-o and fruit-delicious!