Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted for safe-keeping
- 1 lb stew meat
- 3 medium potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cabbage
- Chop meat, potatoes, carrots and onion into similar size pieces.
- Place meat into heavy pan and turn on high to sear. This should only take a few minutes.
- Add water and simmer 2 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cabbage and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add cabbage, chopped into larger pieces, a simmer an additional 30 minutes.
This is excellent if you leave out the ketchup! Sorry Mom!
When I looked at this recipe I knew that if I did not add some more spices, I would not be able to rate this very well...so I did! Since it did not say what type of meat to use I decided to use a cut-up leg of lamb. I used the potatoes,carrots and cabbge but also added pearl onions and butternut squash. Keeping with the ketchup theme, I opted for fresh skinned tomatoes. Added rosemary and thyme to S&P. Yes, I know that I have changed this recipe from the original, so I ask for puppitypups forgivness and for her to know that it turned out great!