Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I grew up eating this and it always gets compliments when I fix it. It is very southern!
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup pepperidge farms herb seasoned dry bread crumb
- Slice squash and place in large pot. Quarter and slice onion and place in pot with squash. Add enough water to pot to just cover squash and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until squash are tender.
- Drain squash and onions well and place in large, shallow casserole dish. Dot with one tablespoon of butter and mash slightly with fork until there are no more whole slices of squash in dish.
- Drizzle one tablespoon melted butter over breadcrumbs and spread evenly over casserole.
- Bake in 250 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs are browned.
I love squash, and this was a nice way to fix it that didn't overwhelm the taste of the veggie. I used organic stuffing mix and would suggest adding salt and pepper. Thanks for sharing your recipe!