Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my mothers recipe with a little variation, it is "stand-up spoon" thick, with vegetables and potatoes. She fed a family of 13 hungry kids with this recipe, and the only thing that went with it, was crackers. Enjoy !!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs split peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1⁄2 ounces ham soup base
- 1⁄2 ounce chicken base
- 12 ounces ham, diced
- 1 bunch celery, diced
- 2 -3 onions, diced
- 1 lb carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (Not Salt)
- 1 tablespoon garlic granules (Not Salt)
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free seasoning (ie, Mrs. Dash)
- 1 tablespoon season coarse salt
- 1⁄4 cup parsley flakes (fresh or dried)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced,browned (optional)
- -Rinsesplit peas in water.
- -Addboth ham,and chicken base to water and simmer.
- -Addsplit peas and simmer till cooked, Stirring constantly.
- -Peeland dice carrots, celery, and onions.
- -Mincegarlic, or purchase it in the jar already minced.
- -Peeland dice potatoes and keep covered with water until needed.
- -Whenpeas are cooked and well blended, add seasonings, carrots, celery, onions, diced ham and potatoes.
- (bacon if so desired).
- -Simmeruntil vegetables are tender.
- 1 hour.
- Stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- -Adjustseasoning if desired, and enjoy with crackers.