Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the dish my husband and sons ask for most often. It's similar to the appetizer 'potato skins' that you can order only this dish is much more family friendly. I hope you'll enjoy these as much as we do.
- 6 -8 medium potatoes, washed,peeled and cubed
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- salt and pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 large onion
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheese, your choice (I use 1 c. med. cheddar and 1 c. mozz.)
- soft bacon bits or cooked bacon, crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 350*.
- Wash, peel and cube potatoes.
- Place potatoes in large casserole dish.
- Slice butter or margaine in 8 equal pats.
- Place pats of butter or margarine on top of potatoes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place potatoes in pre-heated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until done.
- You may want to take them out mid-way through and stir.
- Combine sour cream and onion soup mix.
- Stir well and set aside in'fridge until time to serve.
- While potatoes are baking, combine onion, drained mushrooms, and a bit of oil or butter.
- Saute until onions are clear.
- Set on low and wait on potatoes to finish baking.
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven and turn oven off.
- Evenly spread onion and mushrooms over the top of potatoes.
- Then sprinkle with cheese.
- On top of cheese sprinkle bacon bits.
- Place dish back in turned off oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve with onion dip and enjoy!