This is very close to the way my Mom made Spanish Rice. This dish was taken to every pot-luck we attended, not because it was what she wanted to take but it was what everyone asked her to bring. This is a very simple dish with only as much spice in it as you want. I am posting it as the very basic recipe. You can add to it what you like to suit your palate. I like to serve this with creamy coleslaw.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Brown ground beef, break it up as it browns.
- When the ground beef is taking on colour add in the diced onion and salt and pepper.
- Add in any optional vegetables at this point.
- When onion has softened add the vinegar and brown sugar.
- Add the tomato soup and water, stir well. I start with 1 and 1/2 cups of water, you likely will need to add more as it cooks.
- Adjust the seasoning if you need to.
- Add in the uncooked rice and stir.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- Bake in oven for 45 -60 minutes, cover for the first 1/2 hour. Check after 1/2 hour and add more water if it seems too dry.
- You want it to be a bit dry in the end, soft but not mushy.