1/1 Photo of Mom's Spanish Rice
This is very close to the way my Mom made Spanish Rice. This dish was taken to every pot-luck we attended, not because it was what she wanted to take but it was what everyone asked her to bring. This is a very simple dish with only as much spice in it as you want. I am posting it as the very basic recipe. You can add to it what you like to suit your palate. I like to serve this with creamy coleslaw.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Brown ground beef, break it up as it browns.
- 3When the ground beef is taking on colour add in the diced onion and salt and pepper.
- 4Add in any optional vegetables at this point.
- 5When onion has softened add the vinegar and brown sugar.
- 6Add the tomato soup and water, stir well. I start with 1 and 1/2 cups of water, you likely will need to add more as it cooks.
- 7Adjust the seasoning if you need to.
- 8Add in the uncooked rice and stir.
- 9Pour into a casserole dish.
- 10Bake in oven for 45 -60 minutes, cover for the first 1/2 hour. Check after 1/2 hour and add more water if it seems too dry.
- 11You want it to be a bit dry in the end, soft but not mushy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Spanish Rice
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.6
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 49.1 mg
- Sodium 457.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 18.1 g