Recipe by GaylaV
This is very close to the way my Mom made Spanish Rice. This dish was taken to every pot-luck we attended, not because it was what she wanted to take but it was what everyone asked her to bring. This is a very simple dish with only as much spice in it as you want. I am posting it as the very basic recipe. You can add to it what you like to suit your palate. I like to serve this with creamy coleslaw.
Top Review by Boomette
I added 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms, 2 small red pepper. I used only 1 tbs of vinegar and 1 tbs of Splenda brown sugar. I omitted the salt and pepper. I used 1 1/2 cup of water and after the 30 minutes I added 1/2 cup water. No more was needed. I used a mixture of long grain white rice and wild rice. This dish is so tasty and different. I love it. Thanks Gayla. Made for Please Review My Recipe.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (options -- green or red pepper, garlic, celery)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 ounces tomato soup
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Brown ground beef, break it up as it browns.
- When the ground beef is taking on colour add in the diced onion and salt and pepper.
- Add in any optional vegetables at this point.
- When onion has softened add the vinegar and brown sugar.
- Add the tomato soup and water, stir well. I start with 1 and 1/2 cups of water, you likely will need to add more as it cooks.
- Adjust the seasoning if you need to.
- Add in the uncooked rice and stir.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- Bake in oven for 45 -60 minutes, cover for the first 1/2 hour. Check after 1/2 hour and add more water if it seems too dry.
- You want it to be a bit dry in the end, soft but not mushy.