Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my Mom's Spanish Rice recipe. It's so good, that you can actually eat it by itself as a meal and not as a side-dish.
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 white onions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cayenne
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 cups white rice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger (optional)
- Being that I like to cook quick (and so do you, probably), I like to dice, chop, and get everything out and measured and put aside before I even begin the cooking, so dice your onions and chop up the bell peppers. You can leave the seeds of the peppers if you'd like but make sure to de-stem them.
- In a pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped peppers, diced onions, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne. Stir VERY frequently (about 1-2 minutes) and make sure that the all the spices are mixed into the vegetables.
- Immediately, and in a separate pot, prepare your rice according to the package.
- When rice is cooked, add it to the cooking veggies.
- Add the canned tomatoes and stir frequently on medium heat.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning the rice and so that the rice can absorb the tomato, oil, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- If you want a variation, add small pieces of cooked hamburger meat (prepared in a separate skillet) to the mix. You can add salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne to that, as well, before finally adding it to the mix. If you are a brontosaurus and don't eat meat like your T-Rex friends, skip this step.
- You will know the rice has absorbed everything and that everything is cooked when the rice is golden. (Note: if you believe the rice to taste too salty, gradually add just pinches of sugar until the flavor balances back out; sugar, kids, is a great equalizer -- use it wisely.).
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Excellent recipe! I sauteed celery also since I used diced tomatoes with the juice. I did cut back a little on the black pepper. I had left over hamburger that was cooked and also rice. Delicious. I will post a photo soon! Thanks for posting.