Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a fair amount of work, especially if you make the meatballs to go with it, but boy is it worth it.
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage link
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, squashed
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6 ounce) cans water
- italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- ground black pepper
- parsley flakes
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- Leave sausages whole. Brown for 45 min over medium heat.
- Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Put sausages and vegetables into a dutch oven. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and water.
- Add listed spices to taste. Add mushrooms.
- Cook 2 - 3 hours over low heat. Keep a close watch as it can scorch. If it gets too thick, add some water.
- This is beyond good if also served with the recipe I posted for Mom's Italian Meatballs so that you get all those flavors and can eat a little sausage and some meatballs at the same meal.
This was very good. It will be made again. It was a bit oily, I guess it came from the sausage. No mushrooms were added, because I didn't have any. Made or Photo Tag.
Wonderful spaghetti sauce that I will definitely be making again! I used more sweet italian sausage than hot, vegetable broth instead of water, and did not add the mushrooms. Cooked this on low and my kitchen smelled very good! Thank you Debbie for posting this recipe!