Recipe by Debbie R.
This is a fair amount of work, especially if you make the meatballs to go with it, but boy is it worth it.
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage link
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage link
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, squashed
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6 ounce) cans water
- italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- ground black pepper
- parsley flakes
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Leave sausages whole. Brown for 45 min over medium heat.
- Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Put sausages and vegetables into a dutch oven. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and water.
- Add listed spices to taste. Add mushrooms.
- Cook 2 - 3 hours over low heat. Keep a close watch as it can scorch. If it gets too thick, add some water.
- This is beyond good if also served with the recipe I posted for Mom's Italian Meatballs so that you get all those flavors and can eat a little sausage and some meatballs at the same meal.