Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My mom made the best thick spaghetti sauce ever! I only revised this a little...
- 1 large onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cansfire roasted diced tomatoes
- saute' the chopped onion in the olive oil. Add the dried seasonings and stir well.
- continue to saute' onion until soft stirring to prevent sticking. Add the cans of sauce, tomatoes and paste and continue cooking on very low heat for 6 to eight hours stirring occassionaly to prevent scorching. Water may be added also if the sauce gets too thick.
- Towards the end of cooking, you may add your favorite meatballs or italian sausages.
Great sauce, basic but still very tasty. This is a good default sauce to use for a variety of pasta recipes.