Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Absolutely favorite meal of all in our home. I tried Jo Mama's World Famous Spaghetti this weekend and was told emphatically "you MUST enter 'our' recipe!" Sharlene W, I would love your opinion!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes or 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3 cans mushroom soup
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 10 pimento pepper, chopped (not hot!)
- 1 can mushroom, sliced
- Fry onions and garlic in a minimal amount of oil in a large heavy pot until onions are soft.
- Add meat and stir-fry until browned.
- Add Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Tomato Juice and Mushroom Soup, stirring to blend.
- Add Green Peppers and Italian Seasoning.
- Simmer for 45 minutes for flavours to blend, stirring occasionally.
- Add Pimento Peppers and canned mushrooms.
- Simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti with a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese.
- Freezes exceptionally well for those"pull-out of the freezer" days.
I did take your challenge and try your version of spaghetti sauce. I guess everyone has their own idea what spaghetti sauce is. For me, ground beef and canned mushroom soup make some kind of casserole, but it isn't spaghetti (in my humble opinion). You asked for it...there it is.
I'm sorry but this just isn't as good as Jo Mamas spaghetti sauce. The addition of the cream of mushroom soup adds an odd consistancy and taste.
We enjoyed this recipe but not as much as Jo Mama's Spaghetti Sauce recipe. I cut it in half and placed it in my crockpot on low for 6 hours. Served it with Texas Toast and Side Salad. It just didn't have the kick my family likes. It is creamer because of the mushroom soup.