Recipe by Doozie
This is my Mom's sauce, the sauce I grew up with and loved...but now that I am grown I have made a few changes but posted the orginal recipe from my Mom. Basically for my grown up taste, I increased all the spices. I would like to say I doubled them, but I'm sure it is probably even more. I just cup my hand pour some spice in and throw it in the pot. And I also tend to let it simmer on the stove all morning. It's a good sauce and the one I started with before I started spicing it up. Occaisionally I added her meatballs to this recipe, they can be found here Mom's Meatballs
Top Review by Cookin-jo
Wonderful, flavourful tomato sauce! Excellent! I first followed the basic recipe as given, then increased the dried herbs as you suggested. I added in some crushed red pepper flakes and some dried thyme leaves and used brown sugar instead of white. After simmering an hour the sauce was very thick. Those who like a thinner sauce could add a little water but for me it was perfect. Thank you, Doozie. Great recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 (32 ounce) canned tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) canned tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in sauce pot, and saute the onion and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients except the grated cheese and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat and simmer one hour.
- NOTE: For a thicker sauce, stir in the 1/4 cup grated cheese and simmer 5 minutes more. Actually -- I think it even tastes better.