Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I do the prep work in the morning and just let it simmer all day. When I get home, all I have to do is boil the spaghetti, brown some garlic bread and dinner is on.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 8 -10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, sugars, salt, oregano, chili powder and mustard. Stir in the beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Serve over spaghetti.
Turned out delicious! It was a hit! Here is what I tweaked on the recipe: Used zuchini and spinach instead of mushrooms and celery Only used about 1/2 tsp chili powder Used only brown sugar not the white This turned out to be a chunky spaghetti sauce with all the vegetables in it(which I like.) Only thing I noticed is there is no way we could've stretched this out to feed 10-12 like the recipe says. I served 6 adults with it and there was none left over!