Recipe by cooks-alot
As kids we loved when mom made this gravy.She typically served it with corn bread,some type of green and fried ham.
Top Review by Miss Annie
I love this gravy. When I make this Southern dish, I usually use it on meatloaf. Leftovers are used for breakfast. Toast, poached egg, and Tomato Gravy. Now that is some serious good stuff. I made this as you wrote it, and it's so similar to mine. Sometimes, if I have it on hand, I use bacon drippings instead of the butter to give it another layer of taste. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use corn)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 14 1⁄2 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter and oil in skillet.
- Add flour and brown slowly.
- Do not burn and keep mixture spreadable.
- After browning ,remove from heat to cool.
- After cooling add tomatoes ,juices and water.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Return to heat stirring constantly untill mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat,add salt , pepper and sugar.
- Stir and serve.