1/2 Photos of Mom's Southern Cornbread
My mom has been making this cornbread for over 40 years-I'm sure she got it from my grandma who was from Kentucky. It's not a sweet cornbread-just as good though. My father would take the leftovers and break a piece up in a glass of milk and eat it like cereal. It's very good. We always cook this in a cast iron skillet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Turn oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Put bacon grease into cast iron skillet.
- 3Put skillet into oven to melt and remove as soon as it's melted being sure to swirl around to coat the skillet.
- 4Meanwhile, mix flour, cornmeal, egg, baking powder and milk-use the full cup of milk and then add until you get the right texture.You want it slightly thick but not too thick.
- 5Add bacon grease to batter and pour back into skillet.
- 6Bake for about 45 minutes-it will be very golden brown.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Southern Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.5
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 42.9 mg
- Sodium 225.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 7.1 g