My mom has been making this cornbread for over 40 years-I'm sure she got it from my grandma who was from Kentucky. It's not a sweet cornbread-just as good though. My father would take the leftovers and break a piece up in a glass of milk and eat it like cereal. It's very good. We always cook this in a cast iron skillet.
- Turn oven to 400 degrees.
- Put bacon grease into cast iron skillet.
- Put skillet into oven to melt and remove as soon as it's melted being sure to swirl around to coat the skillet.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, cornmeal, egg, baking powder and milk-use the full cup of milk and then add until you get the right texture.You want it slightly thick but not too thick.
- Add bacon grease to batter and pour back into skillet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes-it will be very golden brown.
Perfect! An easy and very tasty recipe due to the bacon drippings........delicious! I made this in under and hour from start to finish......your Mum's recipe is indeed a winner, please thank her for me! Made for Ragin' Cajun and Creole Photo Tag in the Photo's Forum, merci encore Jill! FT:-)