Recipe by msjill111
My mom has been making this cornbread for over 40 years-I'm sure she got it from my grandma who was from Kentucky. It's not a sweet cornbread-just as good though. My father would take the leftovers and break a piece up in a glass of milk and eat it like cereal. It's very good. We always cook this in a cast iron skillet.
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease (can use vegetable oil but flavor will differ)
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups white cornmeal (can use yellow)
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn oven to 400 degrees.
- Put bacon grease into cast iron skillet.
- Put skillet into oven to melt and remove as soon as it's melted being sure to swirl around to coat the skillet.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, cornmeal, egg, baking powder and milk-use the full cup of milk and then add until you get the right texture.You want it slightly thick but not too thick.
- Add bacon grease to batter, mix well and pour back into skillet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes-it will be very golden brown.