Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so simple, so good, so light and made from scratch. It just doesn't need frosting. My very favorite cake from childhood.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve cocoa in the boiling water.
- Dissolve soda in a little water.
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add sour cream to sugar and butter, mix, then add cocoa and water and mix.
- Add 1 C flour, the eggs, the other C of flour, then water with soda.
- Mix well.
- Pour into 8"x13" sheet pan.
- Bake at 350 F for about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes.
I made this for the DH and he did say it was one of the better sour cream chocolates cakes he had had. I didn't add nuts as he doesn't like them. He took some for his morning/afternoon teas (12 hour shift work) and the rest was sliced and frozen, so its real test for us will be if it stands up to the freezing process. Thank you BarbryT, made for Aussie/NZ Swap #36, January 2010.
This is really a delicious cake that is super moist and really doesn't need frosting. I did however use Authentic No Refrigeration Bakery Frosting/Icing as I was making this for a valentine's treat. I then threw a few dashes of red sprinkles over all. I made mine in a 7x11 cake pan. It made for an extremely tall cake that would be perfect for birthdays or a special occasion. Otherwise a 9x13 would probably work best. I did opt out of the nuts per family preference. Glad I tagged this for AU Recipeswap~
Very good! I made this for my son's birthday this month and it was enjoyed by all. I frosted with chocolate frosting and put rainbow sprinkles on top! Thanks for posting!