Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Just as easy as opening "one of those cans" or packet mixes, only MUCH better! (I'm sure much healthier, too.) *The sauce is also very good as a homemade bbq sauce for chicken, ribs, pork chops, etc. Thanks, Mom! Enjoy!! :D
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, can sub light brown
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed or the concentrate
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon mustard, regular yellow table mustard to taste
- 4 -6 hamburger buns
- In frying pan, brown ground beef til no longer pink, breaking up into very small pieces as you cook. (If you leave it in larger pieces/chunks, the meat won't all get coated as much, and won't be as good. Will also fall off the bun more easily.).
- Drain grease.
- Add rest of ingredients, stir well to mix.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or so, stirring ocaisionally.
- Serve on warmed hamburger buns.
- *If using as a bbq sauce, simmer ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat for about 15-20 minutes, stirring ocaisionally. Grill meat (chicken, etc.) til just done. Baste well with sauce and cook 3-5 minutes longer. Turning and basting.
- If baking instead of grilling, the bbq-style sauce can be added to the raw meat and baked the entire time at 350 degrees til done.
Yum! Made these tonight, and they were very tasty. I doubled it, added a heaping spoonful of chopped shallots and cooked them with the beef for a bit, and I didn't simmer it for the full 20 minutes, but it turned out fabulous all the same. Next time, I'm thinking I might add in a little bit of chilli powder or chilli flakes for a bit of a kick, but other than that, I'd keep everything just the same!