Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was one of my favorite dinners when I was a kid! I still like it, and I like that it's easy and fairly quick to make. We don't use much salt, so I've cut down on it; if it's not salty enough for you, feel free to add some.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 -3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Brown beef in a large skillet and drain.
- Add macaroni, onion, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until macaroni is transparent.
- Add tomato sauce, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir, turn off heat, and allow to sit on warm burner for another 5 minutes.
I'm going to make this tonight but since I dont have tomato sauce I'm going to try it with the 15oz can of pizza sauce I have. It should still come out good with a pizza taste which since my kids love pizza it should be good.
I used to have a recipe like this, but couldn't find it, and wanted to find a way to use our ground turkey. I used tricolor pasta (gluten-free), kind of rotini-shaped, and it ended up making me think of Hamburger Helper, but healthy. My husband, four year old, and I all enjoyed it--I put a little cheese on theirs. Oh yeah, and I also didn't use Worcestershire sauce (didn't have any).