Recipe by JillQH
This is mom's basic pumpkin roll recipe. Very simple for a simply wonderful alternative to the pumpkin pie.
Top Review by Larawithoutau
I made this twice this week, not having any self-rising flour, I used the same amount of all purpose flour & 1 t. of baking soda. The first time I made it as instructed with the exception of AP flour baking soda. Almost everyone went for seconds and/or asked for the recipe. The second time I made it, I added 1/2t. ground ginger and a few dashes of ground clove. This really made the bread even more flavorful. I will be making more of these (and freezing some too) real soon! Thanks for posting.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar, sifted, for rolling and for decoration
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs for 5 minutes to make fluffy.
- Add sifted self-rising flour, sugar, and spices along with pumpkin. Mix through.
- Spread mixture into a greased & floured 10"x15" baking pan (a large cookie sheet will work fine).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Take a medium sized kitchen towel (one that is larger than the cookie sheet), lay it flat and heavily sprinkle with sifted flour.
- Invert cake onto towel, and roll cake and the towel together. Cool in fridge.
- Combine softened cream cheese, softened margarine, sifted powdered sugar and vanilla with mixer.
- Once pumpkin cake is cooled, unroll and spread all cream cheese icing over cake.
- Reroll cake, but make sure to not put too much pressure on cake, as icing will ooze out the sides.
- Place seam side down and refridge again.
- Sprinkle top with extra sifted powdered sugar for decoration.