5 hrs 30 mins
Little Suzy Homemaker's Note:
This is from Southern Living. Prep time does not include marinating overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 -4 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 8 carrots, diagonally sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 7 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths (about 3 pounds)
- 2 large onions, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Combine beer and next 4 ingredients and 2 tablespoons oil in a large zip-top freezer bag. Add roast, turning to coat. Seal and chill at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Sprinkle roast evenly with pepper.
- 2Brown roast 4 minutes on each side in remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy-duty roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add reserved marinade, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- 3Bake at 300°F for 2 1/2 hours. Turn roast, and stir in carrots, potatoes and onions. Bake 2 more hours or until roast and vegetables are tender. Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter. Skim fat from juices in roasting pan.
- 4Whisk together cornstarch and 1/2 cup water in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk cornstarch mixture into juices in pan; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking to loosen particles.
- 5Drizzle 1/2 cup gravy over roast. Serve remaining gravy with meat and vegetables.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Signature Roast Beef
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 912.3
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 2883.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 51.8 g