Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple, tasty and impressive for guests. What more could you want?? Serve with green salad and garlic bread!
- 1 cup frozen okra, sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb shrimp, uncooked and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Saute green pepper, celery and onion in veg oil until tender. Set aside.
- Combine in large saucepan: frozen okra, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, worstishire sauce, salt, pepper, cornstarch and cooked veggies. Heat until lightly boiling. Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Add shrimp 5 minutes before ready to serve. Cook until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Serve over hot white rice.
We thought this was a great, simple recipe. It meets our 2010 healthy goals for more vegetables and less protein. We served it over brown rice. Unfortunately, I didn't have okra (a big omission), but it was still great.
I surprised my husband and made this one night. HE LOVED IT! He thought it was the best thing I ever made for him. I plan on making it the next time we have company!