Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 mins
This is a spongecake-type shortcake--but it's MUCH better than those rubbery little things they sell next to the strawberries in the grocery store! It's wonderful with strawberries, peaches, or any other fresh summer fruits. You can also use this recipe to make a jellyroll.
- Combine baking powder, salt and eggs in a bowl.
- Place over hot water and beat for ten minutes.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until thick.
- Remove from heat and fold in flour and vanilla.
- Pour into individual shortcake pans and bake at 400 degrees F.
- for 13 minutes.
- This recipe can also be used to make a jellyroll.
- Bake it in a jellyroll pan, cool, spread with jelly, and roll up.
I've been making this for several years and just realized that I hadn't rated it! This is FABULOUS!!!! Better by far than the rubbery things at the grocery store, yes. Flavorful, tender, and beautiful.
My family loved it. The only thing I didn't know how long to cook it over hot water meant. So I just did a like a double boiler. I used a metal boil over a pan of boiling water. I cooked it until it was warm. It turned out great! My family loved it. I accidentally forgot the vanilla and it was still good.
My friends loved it! They asked for the recipe. It was great the unusual (stirring over boiling water kind of threw me though).