Recipe by Clair__11
My mum's recipe for shortbread cookies. My friends would always ask for these as Christmas or birthday gifts! Can be topped with homemade butter/icing sugar frosting. You can substitute half the butter with margarine if you want. In the picture, I added a teaspoon of lemon zest and made an icing with lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice and icing sugar.
- 1⁄2 cup canada cornstarch, brand name stuff
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- lemon zest (optional) or orange zest (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together cornstarch, icing sugar and flour.
- With a wooden spoon, blend in butter until soft, smooth dough forms.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. If dough is too soft to handle, cover and chill 30-60 minutes. Place 1-1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet; flatten with lightly floured fork, Alternatively, roll dough to 1/4 inch; cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
- Decorate with frosting, candies cherries, coloured sprinkles or nuts if desired.
- Bake in 300F oven 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned (just barely, less is more). Cool on wire rack.