Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My Mom, Gerry Lefever made this pie for our family, then I made it for mine. Now our kids make it for their families. A REAL Amish recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (if desired)
- Pour boiling water over soda,in a bowl.
- Stir in molasses.
- Mix crumbs.
- Mix half of crumbs into filling and pour into pie shells.
- Sprinkle rest of crumbs over the two pies.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 30-40 minutes.
MUST TRY THIS PIE! My husband and I love this recipe. If you love molasses, you'll LOVE this. Although this is meant to be a dessert, Shoofly pie also makes a great breakfast. I used to half the recipe and just make one pie, but I got bickering with my husband like a 2 year old over who got the last slice. Now, I make 2 pies. One for him, one for me. And those 2 pies are usually gone in 36 hours. :-)