Recipe by Julesong
Simple, but wonderful!! This was my favorite cake that Mom would make when I was little... for that matter, since I wasn't really that fond of cake, it's probably the only reason I ever ate any. Whenever I make this for gatherings, everybody asks for the recipe... and then begs me to make it for the next gathering, too. :)
Top Review by Chris Gronsbell
I used to make this cake years ago - with a glaze of powdered sugar & sherry. I know for a fact it is fabulous. In fact - after seeing it here today I'm going to make it again this weekend.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup cream sherry
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1⁄2-1 cup powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- (This recipe has three separate portions to combine together: the cake, the cinnamon mixture, and the frosting.) Combine cake ingredients and mix for 5 minutes in mixer on medium speed.
- Combine cinnamon mixture.
- Butter the sides and bottom of Bundt or angel food tin.
- Sprinkle part of cinnamon mixture into pan covering sides and bottom.
- Then pour cake batter into pan in three alternating layers with cinnamon mixture, ending with cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, checking to make sure the sugar on the outside of the cake does not burn.
- Let cool; place on serving plate.
- Mix together powdered sugar and enough milk to make a "drizzly" consistency of frosting, then drizzle over the sides (both inside and outsides).
- Let frosting set before serving.
- Note: if your oven runs hot, you might want to try baking for 35 minutes to begin with, then remove cake from oven and taste-check a portion of the cake which doesn't show easily (such as the inner ring) to make sure the sugar coating isn't burning and the cake isn't drying out. Thank you, Michelle S., for the input that prompted me to edit the recipe for this! :).