Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This is a wonderful soup I love to make on cold winter nights! It takes awhile to prepare, but it's absolutely worth the wait!
- 1 lb navy beans
- 12 cups water
- 1 ham bone (some meat attached)
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Heat navy beans in 12 cups water until boiling. Boil for two minutes, then remove from heat, cover and let it stand for one hour.
- Add the ham bone, reheat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for two hours.
- Stir in all other ingredients and simmer for one more hour.
- Remove ham bone and trim the ham from it to return to the soup.
- Discard ham bone.