Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother made the best meatloaf in town, but would never share her recipe saying it was just a basic meatloaf recipe with a "secret ingredient". Now all MY family and friends beg for this meatloaf, but only my daughter knows the secret ingredient -- now you will too. You will get raves on this one!
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (, or you can use 2-3 Tblp dried onion flakes if the kids object to actually seeing the onion)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 pieces bread, crumbed in food processor
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup Heinz Chili Sauce (NO SUBSTITUTION on this ingredient)
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese or 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Mix ground chuck with breadcrumbs.
- (extra lean works well too).
- Add salt,pepper and egg.
- Mixing with you hands now, add the Heinz Chili Sauce and the milk.
- Seperate the mixture in half and form 2 loaves.
- They will both fit comfortably in a 13" by 9" pan.
- Mix the topping together and spread on the top and the sides of the loaves.
- Cook at 375 for one hour or 400 for 45 minutes.
- Check for firmness.
- Let rest for ten minutes before cutting.
- If you have stale bread you can lay 2 slices under each loaf and it will soak up the grease so your meatloaf is a bit leaner upon serving.
- Also, you can use the Chili Sauce on top of the meatloaf instead of catsup.
- This makes it spicier but my mother never did this because it would have given away her"Secret Ingredient" -- and the kids probably will like it better with catsup on top.
This was delicious...I changed the recipe just a bit. I used breadcrumbs instead of bread, and we didn't use the cheese, it tasted great!!
This just became my family meatloaf recipe. It was great tasting and very moist. I used the ketchup with cheddar cheese and we loved it. I didn't even have trouble getting the center done by doing 2 loaves in a large pan. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Actually I rate it a 3 1/2. Meatloaf is probably one of my favorite "comfort" foods and this one was no exception. Was easy to put together, baked up nice and juicy and really tasted great. BUT thats were I have to stop. Two hours later I had the worst heartburn and indigestion of my life. Middle of the night, DH is up taking pepto bismal. It had to be the chili sauce as we are not used to it and that was the only thing that was different. The kids however with their "cast iron stomachs" had no problems. I really liked the catsup and cheese on top and will use that again with my regular recipe. Just be warned about the chili sauce.