Recipe by hopeful
My mother made the best meatloaf in town, but would never share her recipe saying it was just a basic meatloaf recipe with a "secret ingredient". Now all MY family and friends beg for this meatloaf, but only my daughter knows the secret ingredient -- now you will too. You will get raves on this one!
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (, or you can use 2-3 Tblp dried onion flakes if the kids object to actually seeing the onion)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 pieces bread, crumbed in food processor
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup Heinz Chili Sauce (NO SUBSTITUTION on this ingredient)
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese or 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ground chuck with breadcrumbs.
- (extra lean works well too).
- Add salt,pepper and egg.
- Mixing with you hands now, add the Heinz Chili Sauce and the milk.
- Seperate the mixture in half and form 2 loaves.
- They will both fit comfortably in a 13" by 9" pan.
- Mix the topping together and spread on the top and the sides of the loaves.
- Cook at 375 for one hour or 400 for 45 minutes.
- Check for firmness.
- Let rest for ten minutes before cutting.
- If you have stale bread you can lay 2 slices under each loaf and it will soak up the grease so your meatloaf is a bit leaner upon serving.
- Also, you can use the Chili Sauce on top of the meatloaf instead of catsup.
- This makes it spicier but my mother never did this because it would have given away her"Secret Ingredient" -- and the kids probably will like it better with catsup on top.