Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I only get to enjoy these potatoes two times a year, Christmas and Thanksgiving. I am 2 1/2 months pregnant and have been craving them lately. I think anyone who loves comfort classics will enjoy this recipe as it goes great with anything especially prime rib, turkey, or ham. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 12 large red potatoes (thinly sliced, I use a mandolin slicer)
- 1 large yellow onion (thinly sliced, I use a mandolin slicer)
- 4 cups cheddar cheese (sometimes I use both cheddar and gruyere)
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a large glass baking dish (the size of a lasagna pan) in butter to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- In a bowl, mix the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken soup and milk and whisk to combine.
- Start layering the soup mix, potatoes, onions and cheese ending in cheese (make sure the top layer is double the cheese as the layers of cheese in between).
- Dot the top of the potatoes with butter and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake the potatoes covered for an hour and a half or until somewhat fork tender. Take the cover off and cook them for an additional 30 minutes.
WOW! These are great potatoes....comfort food at its cheesy best. They turned out very creamy and cheesy. I served them with some leftover ham I had on hand and it was a perfect compliment to the ham. Thanks for sharing this winner, Tiny_Toodles, can't wait to make them again!!!!!