Recipe by cervantesbrandi
I only get to enjoy these potatoes two times a year, Christmas and Thanksgiving. I am 2 1/2 months pregnant and have been craving them lately. I think anyone who loves comfort classics will enjoy this recipe as it goes great with anything especially prime rib, turkey, or ham. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Top Review by Merlot
WOW! These are great potatoes....comfort food at its cheesy best. They turned out very creamy and cheesy. I served them with some leftover ham I had on hand and it was a perfect compliment to the ham. Thanks for sharing this winner, Tiny_Toodles, can't wait to make them again!!!!!
- 12 large red potatoes (thinly sliced, I use a mandolin slicer)
- 1 large yellow onion (thinly sliced, I use a mandolin slicer)
- 4 cups cheddar cheese (sometimes I use both cheddar and gruyere)
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a large glass baking dish (the size of a lasagna pan) in butter to prevent the potatoes from sticking.
- In a bowl, mix the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken soup and milk and whisk to combine.
- Start layering the soup mix, potatoes, onions and cheese ending in cheese (make sure the top layer is double the cheese as the layers of cheese in between).
- Dot the top of the potatoes with butter and cover the pan with foil.
- Bake the potatoes covered for an hour and a half or until somewhat fork tender. Take the cover off and cook them for an additional 30 minutes.