Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Served with some crusty bread and a green salad, this soup makes a great meal for a chilly night.
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 lb italian sweet sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 green onions
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, lightly brown sausage, remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, combine 1 can of beans, garlic, bay leaf, allspice, broth and 1 1/2 quarts water.
- Cook, partially covered about 15 minutes, then remove bay leaf.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In another pan, steam potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Puree or mash second can beans with 1 cup of the cooking liquid, and add to pot.
- Stir tomato paste and 1 tablespoon water together.
- Add sausage, tomato mixture, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Lower heat (to simmer) and continue cooking soup, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, chopped green onions, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with reserved chopped green onions.
This was a nice soup, I enjoyed it! The directions were a little confusing, though - was I supposed to reserve some of the beans so I could mash them in the soup? Thanks Dee!