Recipe by Dee514
Having married into a Polish family, I had to learn to cook sauerkraut "properly," as it was frequently served as an accompaniment to pork, ham and homemade kielbasa. This is how my M-I-L taught me to make it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 quart sauerkraut, well rinsed and squeezed dry
- 1 potato, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 -3 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or a heavy saucepan.
- Add onion and cook until golden yellow.
- Stir in sauerkraut and 1/2 cup water, cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add potato and caraway seed, mix well.
- Pour in about 2 cups of boiling water.
- Cook uncovered over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Cover, and continue cooking for 30 minutes longer.
- If it starts to dry out, add the additional 1/2 cup of boiling water.