Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Mom's recipe is different from most of them I've seen out there, and it's pretty darn good. :)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh onion
- 1 tablespoon minced green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (16 ounce) can salmon
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 -2 egg
- 2 -3 tablespoons oatmeal (depending on size of salmon)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons butter
- Saute' onion, green pepper, and celery to soften, then mix it all with the remaining ingredients.
- Fry each side in oil and/or butter until lightly crispy.
- Serve with tartar sauce (preferably made from mayo and with no sugar- see my mom's tartar sauce recipe also on RecipeZaar).
- Makes 4 to 6 patties.
- (Minced garlic clove is also a good addition.).
I've never had a problem with these salmon patties being too moist, so perhaps there wasn't enough oatmeal as directed in the recipe. In any case, I love these, and eat them with the perfect tartar sauce that Julesong posted, too. Wonderful!
These taste great but i found the mixture very loose -- too liquid. I am trying to stay low-carb and didn't want to add any breadcrumbs or addt'l oatmeal so I ended up make half-dollar size patties and frying them very quickly. I served these over a bed of rocket (arugula) with slices of lemon and a soy-mayo mixture. Very tasty, just a bit messy to get to the eating stage. I did add garlic but this was the only change. This served 3 of us, but maybe because they were small patties we just ate more than we should have!