Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Modified from my mother-in-law's recipe. I always wash the lettuce and break it up and spin the water off and put in fridge to crisp. I've had folks offer to trade a steak for this salad!
- 2 heads red leaf lettuce (or green leaf or boston or any combiniation of the three)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (peppermill)
- 1 ounce blue cheese (crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- Clean and spin off excess water then chill the lettuce.
- In bottom of a large salad bowl put Splenda, garlic powder and pepper then add oil, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Mix thoroughly and then do a taste test to determine if it needs tweaking ie, needs more sugar, oil, etc.
- When the lettuce is crisp, put in bowl and sprinkle blue cheese and bacon bits on top.
- Toss all ingredients together until lettuce is completely coated with the dressing mixture.
- My boys love this!
This would have gotten 5 stars if the ingredient "Splenda" had been removed and replaced with sugar or stevia. I prefer to use natural food in my recipes and the jury is still out on this Splenda. I substituted sugar and it was delightful! This is a good, simple, refreshing salad and you should try it (just leave out the chemicals).