Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe my mom found on allrecipes that she adapted for me - the substitution of Splenda because I'm diabetic and the substitution of rice flour because of my intolerance to gluten. What's great is you can't tell the difference! Note to the diabetics out there: it's not sugar free but very much reduced in sugar. Still, it wouldn't be the holidays without this dish.
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄3 cup rice flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a large stockpot, cover the sweet potatoes (with the skins on) with 1" of water; boil for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain, allow to cool, and remove the skins.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl, and beat until smooth.
- Reduce speed to low, and add Splenda, milk, butter, vanilla, eggs, and salt.
- Allow any potato "fibers" to remain on the beater and remove. Pour the sweet potato mixture into the casserole dish.
- Prepare the topping in a small bowl by whisking together the brown sugar Splenda, rice flour, butter, and pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the potatoes and bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.
This is great! A sweet potato souffle that doesn't undo all the healthiness of sweet potatoes. And it's delicious. I love that topping. Crunchy, buttery, perfect!
Made for Zingo ZWT4 â€“ Since my sister has gluten allergy, I am always testing recipes for her. This was a great sweet potato dish. Topped with almond slivers and a drizzle of maple sirup. Definite a make again recipe. Thanks for sharing.
I almost never bake with splenda or skim milk or rice flour for that matter, but this recipe intrigued me, & I always enjoy trying something new with yams, so . . . Found this dish to be quite tasty & had several gluten intolerant friends who were happy to get a copy of a recipe they could make for themselves & they wanted me to thank you for sharing! [Made & reviewed in the Zingo part of the Zaar World Tour 4]