Recipe by Chef on the coast
I grew up on these. Now I make them for my kids. The time it takes to make these are worth it. The recipe can easily be halved for 12 rolls. You would still use 1 egg though.
Top Review by Bread 'n Butter
What an absolutely fabulous tasting roll. This recipe will definitely be replacing the one I used to make. I halved it as suggested and they still turned out perfectly. Thanks!
- 2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 -7 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve sugar and salt in water.
- Add yeast. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Add egg and oil.
- Add flour. Make a smooth but elastic dough.
- Let rise until double (about an hour).
- Shape into rolls.
- Let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Brush tops with butter.