I have been carrying the recipe around with me on a faded piece of paper since 1988. I will never forget the day I baked this for my Papa's birthday. He never liked cakes or any desserts much and rarely bothered to even taste them, but much to my family's surprise he even asked for seconds of this one! What a proud and triumphant moment for a granddaughter who was still in elementary school :) I haven't made this in many years, but I do remember that it is very simple, moist and tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 lb rhubarb (4 stalks)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1BASE: Pour butter over bottom of 8" square cake pan; sprinkle with sugar.
- 2Cut rhubarb into 2" pieces (if rhubarb is extra thick, slice lengthwise to keep pieces uniform in size).
- 3Arrange rhubarb closely together in 3 rows in bottom of pan.
- 4Chop any remaining pieces coarsely and sprinkle on top.
- 5Sprinkle with orange rind and set aside.
- 6CAKE: In bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mace.
- 7In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- 8Beat in egg and rind.
- 9Mix in flour mixture alternately with yogurt, making 3 additions of each.
- 10Spoon batter over rhubarb, spreading right to edges of pan.
- 11Using back of spoon, indent batter slightly at centre.
- 12Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and top springs back when lightly pressed.
- 13Remove from oven and let cool on rack for 15 minutes before inverting onto serving tray.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.4
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.0 mg
- Sodium 391.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 35.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g