Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been carrying the recipe around with me on a faded piece of paper since 1988. I will never forget the day I baked this for my Papa's birthday. He never liked cakes or any desserts much and rarely bothered to even taste them, but much to my family's surprise he even asked for seconds of this one! What a proud and triumphant moment for a granddaughter who was still in elementary school :) I haven't made this in many years, but I do remember that it is very simple, moist and tasty!
- BASE: Pour butter over bottom of 8" square cake pan; sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut rhubarb into 2" pieces (if rhubarb is extra thick, slice lengthwise to keep pieces uniform in size).
- Arrange rhubarb closely together in 3 rows in bottom of pan.
- Chop any remaining pieces coarsely and sprinkle on top.
- Sprinkle with orange rind and set aside.
- CAKE: In bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mace.
- In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and rind.
- Mix in flour mixture alternately with yogurt, making 3 additions of each.
- Spoon batter over rhubarb, spreading right to edges of pan.
- Using back of spoon, indent batter slightly at centre.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from oven and let cool on rack for 15 minutes before inverting onto serving tray.