Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a super-moist chocolate cake that will keep for days (if it lasts that long). My mother always made this from a hand-written recipe, no idea where she got it.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs (separated)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (soured)
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream sugar and butter.
- Add egg yolks and one egg white, beat well.
- Add chocolate to 3/4 cup hot water and stir thoroughly.
- Mix baking soda and 1/4 cup warm water.
- Sift flour with salt; add in sour milk and cooled chocolate mixture.
- Stir until smooth, then add baking soda mixture and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold into batter.
- Pour into 8” greased pan and bake at 275º for 1 1/2 hrs, check with toothpick. Be patient, with the large amount of liquid it can take a while to bake.
The cake tastes good but for a beginning cook the recipe was a little hard to follow. more direction would have been nice. Also when i took the cake out it wasn't very prettty, it had air holes covering the top and was very dense, basically it looked like one big round brownie. I'm not sure if it was the recipe or the cook but that was my experience.
this is a great recipe!!