Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
My mother always made these bar cookies during the holidays. They were at the top of the cookie list. It wouldn't have been Christmas without them. They are addictive!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup thick raspberry jam
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- Sift flour with salt, 1 tsp sugar and baking powder.
- Blend in butter (not the melted butter).
- Add egg yolk and brandy or milk and mix.
- Pat into a buttered 11x7x2 inch pan.
- Spread with jam.
- Beat eggs until thick and lemon colored.
- Beat in 1 1/2 cups of sugar, vanilla and melted butter.
- Add coconut.
- Spoon over jam.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly before attempting to cut.
- I usually make this at least a day in advance and refrigerate or freeze the pan.
This recipe first appeared in the pull-out section from Woman's Day magazine--The Collector's Cookbook from December 1960. The name of the recipe is just Raspberry Delights, although I, too, followed in my mom's footsteps and make it every year. I LOVE these bars.