Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Got this from my Mom in 1989. I suspect she got it out of a magazine (BHG?) or the newspaper.... We've been eating it regularly since. Be sure to make it up a day ahead so the flavors mix well. This recipe makes enough for a small army so this is a good one to take to a pot luck or (large) family picnic etc. If the salad is kept in the fridge it lasts 4 - 5 days if tightly covered. (BTW - we've used Hellmans, Hellman's light, Miracle Whip and MW light for the salad dressing. It is truly best with the full fat Hellman's...)
- 1 head purple cabbage, shredded (knife or food processor)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut up into bitesize
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut up into bitesize
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 lb bacon, fried and crumbled
- 2 cups Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Fry, drain and crumble the bacon.
- Get out the biggest bowl you have in the house.
- Chop or shred the cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and onion. Mix in the veggies (incl peas) and the bacon. Set salad aside.
- Mix the dressing by combining the mayo, cheese, sugar, S&P.
- Toss the salad with the dressing the night before your event. Shake up the salad once or twice to make sure the dressing mixes.