Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The best cheesy potato soup/chowder there is.
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring water, vegetables, chives, and seasonings to boil in medium saucepan on high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 10 minutes. Do not drain.
- Melt butter in large saucepan on low heat. Stir in flour. Cook 2 minutes or until bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Cook on medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Add cheese; cook until melted, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable mixture; cook until heated through. Do not boil.