Recipe by Recipe Junkie
My mom made these while I was growing up, and I always asked for them for my birthday supper. I also asked her to make them for my husband's and my wedding engagement party a few years ago.
- 3 lbs braised short rib of beef (with 1/2 cup cooking liquid)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup sliced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced celery, on the diagonal
- 1 1⁄2 cups slivered green peppers
- 1 (20 1/2 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove meat from bones.
- Cut into cubes.
- Slowly heat oil in large, heavy skillet.
- In it brown meat, turning on all sides about 5 minutes in all.
- Remove meat and set aside.
- In same skillet, sauté onion, celery and pepper 5 minutes or until tender.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Stir pineapple into vegetables, along with meat, the 1/2 cup cooking liquid, and rest of ingredients, except 1/4 cup pineapple liquid and cornstarch.
- Cook covered, 5 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup pineapple liquid, stirring until smooth.
- Pour into skillet.
- Bring to boiling, stirring.
- Mixture will be thickened and translucent.
- Serve with hot, cooked rice.