Recipe by loracpal
They are moist and tender--not the kind that turn into a dried out lethal weapon in 3 days. They are a BIG hit with our overseas service men. Just pop some popcorn and pack them in it.
Top Review by The_Swedish_Chef
These cookies are stellar! I wanted to add some pie crust cut-outs to a crustless pie and didn't want to buy those premade crusts. Cut the recipe in half, dusted the tops of them with a sugar/cinnamon mixture and popped them in the oven. VERY delicious and they stand alone, just as they are. But of course, putting them on a pie makes them twice as nice!
- 5 1⁄2-6 cups flour (depends on the weather)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening (DO NOT use butter, I use lard) or 1 cup lard (DO NOT use butter, I use lard)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry in a LARGE BOWL.
- Cut shortening into dry till fine and crumbly (use your hands for this).
- Mix all wet together and add to dry. Mix with wooden spoon till dough forms. Dough will be soft.
- Roll out on well floured surface (I use equal parts flour and sugar) to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes.
- Place on lightly greased sheet and bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes. Do not let cookie bottoms BROWN AT ALL.